Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Maybe I Should Be A Philosophy Major?

To be honest, I haven't read much of The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin. Instead, I have been reading David Copperfield by Charles Dickens. My AP Lit teacher assigns insane reading deadlines every night of about fifty pages. And, on weekends, I am expected to read at least one hundred fifty pages. My only complaint about this assignment is that my reading of David Copperfield takes the place of my reading for etymology class. This exchange is absolutely necessary, or else I would be staying up until the wee hours of the morning reading like a maniac. Thus, I pray that Mr. Hill allows me to count my pages of David Copperfield for his class. Although there is a rule that reading material must not have been assigned in school, I think my case should be an exception because I actually enjoy reading David Copperfield. Plus,  by consensus, I am one of two students honestly reading the novel. Thus, I consider it semi-independent reading. If that argument won't convince Mr. Hill, I am not above groveling at his feet. (Can you tell that I'm a bit stressed?)

I've been thinking a lot about happiness lately. Looking through my twitter feed, I came across a tweet from one of my peers that made me think about the meaning of my existence. The post read: "Monday through Friday.. get up for school, come home do homework, go to sleep and repeat it 5 days in a row. ." That's my life too. What is the meaning of such a meager existence? Well, the point is happiness. It's the feeling that I get when I'm surrounded by family, receive a good grade on a hard-earned assignment, or look in the mirror and feel good about what I see. The point of life is to be happy. You just have to find the happy moments yourself everyday, because they won't find you.

No comments:

Post a Comment