My next book is The Help by Kathryn Stockett. I saw the movie last weekend with one of my friends, and let's just say there was not a dry eye between us when we walked out of the theater. Not only was the movie well-made, but it was inspirational and moving. When I walked out of the theater, I felt a little different. The feeling was different from the stupor I usually feel when I walk out of theaters (from adjusting my eyes to the light and stretching my legs.) I genuinely think that I am a changed person because I witnessed Kathryn Stockett's tale of black nurses in Jackson Mississippi during the 1960's.
Plus, during the week leading up to the day I went to the movies, I had been complaining about how bleak, boring, and depressing my life had become. I was bitter about the start of school and the dull routine the school year brings. I longed to go to Florida so I could visit with my sister and my cousins (who double as my best friends.) I often wish for what I don't or can't have. Well, this movie changed my outlook completely. I'm not saying I'll never whine or complain again (a bad habit!), but I can certainly look back on the characters in The Help for inspiration and the reminder that I'm actually pretty darn lucky.
I suppose it is a coincidence that the two books I have chosen so far this semester have their own movies. I think visualization is vital to reading, and obviously movies aid my visualization. I am excited to read this novel. I hope that I will be re-inspired.
I read the same book as you and cannot WAIT to see the movie! Reading this book gave me a similar appreciation, not only for all that I have, but for the great friends I have that treat me with respect, not like the friends in this book!
ReplyDelete