I finished The Help and am ready to move on to my next book for etymology class. The next book in line is The Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz. It's a novel about a family-owned and operated private investigation firm in San Francisco. The novel focuses on Isabel Spellman, the middle child of the family. Isabel is rebellious, wild, and unruly. Her teenage years were plagued with drinking, smoking, and sneaking out to meet a slew of equally unruly boyfriends. In the novel, Isabel is in her twenties and working for her family's PI firm. Over the years, Isabel has become a talented investigator and spy.
Isabel is spunky. Her voice in the novel adds humor to the plot. In fact, I am reading this novel because the librarian described it as "hilarious" and "laugh-out-loud funny." I hope it lives up to those expectations! Tina Fey's Bossypants is one of my favorite books because it's so funny. I greatly value humor in novels.
I am only fifty pages into the novel, and so far it has just been the exposition. Isabel explains her relationships with her older brother David, her younger sister Rae, and her crazy Uncle Ray. The characters in this novel are ingredients for one wild ride.
No comments:
Post a Comment