Saturday, September 24, 2011

Sentences of the Month

The Spellman Files, Lisa Lutz

Pages this week: 202
Pages this semester: 967


1. "So don't you walk your white butt to New York, run it." (The Help)

This is one of my favorite sentences because it conveys Minny Jackson's sassy attitude and it made me smile.

2. "Right in the middle of the Robert E. Lee Hotel Restaurant, he kissed me so slowly with an open mouth and every single thing in my body--my skin, my collarbone, the hollow backs of my knees, everything inside of me filled up with light." (The Help)

This sentence is one of my favorites because it should be turned into a love poem. It is a beautiful sentence.

3. "Summers shook his head. His jowls reverberated with the motion, like fleshy waves in a swirling epidermal storm." (The Accidental Billionaires)

I laughed out loud when I read this sentence because I picture Summers as a fleshy, pale man with a gut and beady eyes that gaze into their onlooker's soul. It's hilarious that the author compared Summer's jowls to waves in an ocean storm. The imagery created from the simile is so vivid that I can easily imagine Summer's almost comical appearance.

No comments:

Post a Comment