Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Bluebird-Themed Trinkets (Yawn)

I am still reading The Happiness Project. Ironically, it has not been a happy week for me. There are many reasons why I categorize this week as "bad." However, the main cause of my unhappiness this week is my own attitude. I feel like no matter what Gretchen Rubin suggests in her book, the ultimate factor to happiness is one's perspective. A book can change a person's perspective; however, to do so, the book must be darn good. Although I am thoroughly enjoying the The Happiness Project and I think Rubin has some thoughtful insights, I do not think the book has the power to improve people's happiness. 

The chapter I recently completed was the section about the month of May, in which Rubin concentrates on having fun. I was excited to read this chapter because it seems to me that the dominant emotion in my life is boredom. However, what I found in the chapter was more boredom. Rubin talks about creating a book club (this is the third book club she creates) about children's literature, starting a collection of bluebird-themed trinkets, and making a game out of putting away the groceries. Yawn. Sorry, Rubin, but this section put me to sleep. (That is a literal statement). 

Despite of all my criticisms, I really like The Happiness Project, especially in comparison to I Found This Funny. I still have I Found This Funny on my nightstand although I haven't opened it in a few weeks. This weekend I will skip around and only read the stories by the famous actors and comedians I've heard of and then return the book to Mr. Hill's room on Monday. I don't recommend it, but if you want to read Judd Apatow's collection of short stories, you can check it out on Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment