Thursday, October 6, 2011

I Found This Not Funny (So Far)

I started a new book called I Found This Funny. It is a collection of short stories chosen by Judd Apatow. In the introduction, Judd Apatow writes that all the proceeds from the book will go to 826 National, a nonprofit tutoring, writing, and publishing organization. That's nice, I guess. All I know about Judd Apatow is that he wrote and directed the films Funny People, Knocked Up, and The 40-Year-Old Virgin. Ironically, I have never seen any of Judd Apatow's films. I just heard through the grape vine that his movies were funny, and like I said in my earlier posts, I like humor. Also, I wanted to read something other than a novel because those are all I have read this quarter. The short stories are by various writers and comedians such as Conan O'Brien, Steve Martin, Jon Stewart, F. Scott Fitzgerald (I thought that was a joke at first, but there really is a short story by Fitzgerald in this collection), Adam Sandler, and some other names I do not recognize. So, basically, I am taking a big leap of faith with this book. I practically just selected it on a whim.

The first three short stories are not funny at all. In fact, the first two were beyond strange. After reading the stories I was left confused. The stories ended with no conclusion and there was absolutely no humor involved. I hope they get better than this. The short story I am reading now is fairly interesting. The author writes about her experiences in her summer lake home as a young girl. Everything seemed normal  in the story until the narrator walks in on her mother, father, and family friend having an affair. The story is uncomfortable to read, but there aren't any graphic details or anything wildly inappropriate. I hope that the stories by the famous people I know of (Conan O'Brien, Steve Martin, Adam Sandler, etc) are funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment