Thursday, October 20, 2011

Acknowledge the Reality of Your Feelings

In The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin, Rubin describes her year-long experiment with happiness. I just finished reading about the month of April. One of her goals for the month of April is to "acknowledge the reality of people's feelings." Rubin applies the goal to her children. For instance, instead of nagging her daughter Eleanor to take a bath, she says, "You're having fun playing. You don't want to take a bath now, even though it's time." I can apply this strategy in my own life with my friends. Sometimes a friend will vent to me about a particular person and I feel obligated to agree and sympathize with her. However, so I don't step on anyone's toes by agreeing or disagreeing, I can simply "acknowledge the reality" of her feelings. Rather than saying, "You poor thing! How could this person be so inconsiderate!" I can say "You feel betrayed and hurt, and you don't know how to resolve the conflict." Both responses are comforting, but the latter is more poised. Additionally, Rubin talks about the importance of documenting happy events in one's life through photographs or journal entries. I despise taking photographs during award ceremonies, family vacations, and holidays because I feel like it prevents me from living in the moment. However, I do keep a small box in my room in which I store old letters, photographs, and old journals (I used to journal when I was younger).  I only keep the things that I associate with positive memories. So, when I look through my special box I smile and am taken back to happy times.

This weekend I am visiting Atlanta, Georgia for my cousin's wedding. I am happiest when I am with my family, so there will be no need for my special box this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment