Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Currently (Last Week)

The Spellman Files, Lisa Lutz
I Found This Funny, edited by Judd Apatow

Pages last week: 222
Pages this semester: 1339

Sentences of the quarter:
  1. "She was hungry, and she talked with her friends and waited for her steak, and for all that was coming to her: from her body, from the earth, from radiant angels poised in the air she breathed." (I Found This Funny, page 132)--I like this sentence because it relates the character's emotional hunger for love and security with her physical hunger for food.The steak is a metaphor for love, happiness, and contentment.
  2.  Rae swirled around in the chair, pointed the gun at Daniel, and shouted, "I DON'T HAVE ANY CAVITIES!" (The Spellman Files, page 259)--This sentence summarizes the tone of the entire novel. It is playful, yet oddly serious. Also, nothing is as it seems. The gun is not real, but Rae's anger is genuine.
  3. "When I started typing out her bathroom initiative for the newsletter, typing words like disease and protect yourself and you're welcome!, it was like something cracked open inside of me, not unlike a watermelon, cool and soothing and sweet." (The Help, page 407)--This sentence is an important turning point for Skeeter. She finally cracks, like a "watermelon," and it is in this moment she finally realizes the evils of racism.

No comments:

Post a Comment