I finished The Spellman Files over the weekend. The novel ended with the mysterious disappearance of Isabel's little sister Rae and the resolution of the Snow case. When Isabel discovers that Rae is missing, she goes insane with worry and sleep deprivation. The pattern of deceit and bribery in the Spellman family causes Isabel to think of the craziest, most obscure theories; unfortunately, she is incorrect with each one. She even breaks into the home of Inspector Stone, the officer assigned to Rae's case, on suspicions that he abducted Rae because of a deal with Oliver Spellman.Also, somehow convinced that the Snow case is related to Rae's disappearance, Isabel aggressively pursues the case in hopes that the truth will lead her to Rae's location. Personally, I was disappointed with the way the story ended. It was anticlimactic. Compared to Isabel's theories of Rae's disappearance and the Snow case, the truth was tame and boring. Rae had "kidnapped herself" to gain the attention of her family and to convince Isabel to move back home. She stole Isabel's credit card and holed herself up in a motel for three days, living on sugary cereal and cheese puffs. In regard to the Snow case, the missing person's best friend, Officer Larson, tells Isabel the truth so she will leave him alone. The missing person, Andrew Snow, disappeared with the assistance of his brother and Officer Larson to undergo a sex change and create a new life for himself. The novel ended with a lead into the sequel: Isabel hints that Inspector Stone will become her next love interest. Oy vey.
I was engaged by The Spellman Files in the beginning, but it fizzled out by the end. If I come across the sequel to The Spellman Files and I am looking for something to read, I will definitely check it out. However, right now I do not feel compelled to read more about the Spellman family.
No comments:
Post a Comment